My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Outlander (Season 1)

Ronald D. Moore brings to the small screen an adaption of Diana Gabaldon’s book series but so cinematic it feels like you’re watching an epic film of the large screen.  It’s the story of a WWII nurse named Claire from 1945 who gets stuck back in time in Scotland in the mid-1700s.   Separated from her husband she must survive by accompanying a group of Highlanders on their mission to fight the King of England.  Soon she becomes infatuated by a young Scot named Jamie who falls in love with her.   The love story is intoxicating and more sexy than I thought possible.  You can see why this romance series is so popular.  What’s especially fantastic about this show is how well-crafted it is.   The production design is some of the best I’ve seen and the acting is on par with the best as well.   Caitriona Balfe is perfectly cast as Claire; her emotional intensity is so enduring you can’t help but be captivated by her plight.   Will she be able to get back to her husband in the modern world or be forced to stay in the past?  What does her heart want?   Great entertainment.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment