My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Ash Vs. the Evil Dead (Season 1)

Bruce Campbell is back playing his most famous creation, Ash.  Except instead of a two-hour sequel to Army of Darkness we’re treated to an entire television series.  Does it work?  Yes.  And no.   It does have the same comedic gore factor that made the original Evil Dead 2 and 3 work but at the same time when the point of view diverts away from Ash it feels like you’re missing something.  Also what the producers and writers are trying to do with Ash in this show is expand and make him an even more interesting character, which is fine, but I don’t think they succeeded that much.  Maybe Season 2 will work better.  I will say though when it’s working it is great.  When it’s not it does feel forced and not that funny.   You have to see it if you like the films but if you’re not a fan, still give it a go, but you’ll probably not appreciate the style.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment