My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Hail, Caesar! (2016)

The Coen brothers take on the 1950s Hollywood and it’s a delightful experience.   I wouldn’t say this is their best work but it’s certainly a good film that holds true to their film making style.   George Clooney plays one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, Baird Whitlock,who is kidnapped by a secret society of Reds.   Who’s job is it to “fix” this situation but Eddie Mannix (played by Josh Brolin) who sets out to find Whitlock as well as address other problems.  The character that steals the show though is Hobie Doyle (played wonderfully by Alden Ehrenreich).  Hobie is a country bumpkin cowyboy actor that the studio decides to try and make the next big star.   Watching Hobie take direction from Ralph Finnes’ distinguished director is comedy gold.   It’s always a pleasure to see another Coen Brothers film and this is no expectation.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment