My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

I actually had the honor of meeting Robert Jordan when this book came out.  He signed my copy and now finally years later I was able to read it.   Unfortunately out of all the books in this brilliant and yet over-long series this might be the lesser.   Nothing really happens.   I’m completely convinced that this was supposed to be half of a larger book and that the next book, Knife of Dreams, was the second half.  Yet, because he didn’t want to edit anything out and his publisher saw more dollar signs by adding an additional book to the series, they published it as is.  That’s not to say it’s a bad book.  The characters all have more adventures that are enjoyable to read.  But it’s like watching a month of a soap opera to realize everyone is exactly where they were months earlier.  Perrin is still trying to rescue his wife.  Mat is still stuck in Seanchan occupied lands with Tuon as his prisoner.  Ewgene is still trying to prove to the Whtie Tower that she’s deserving of the Armylyn Seat while working to unseat Elaida.  And Elayne is still doing the same with her right as the Queen of Andor.  It’s like the narrative is stuck in neutral or even going in circles.   I can understand why Mr. Jordan wanted to keep all of the events that are here intact.   It’s all character enriching material.   That said it really feels incomplete and because of that it’s a disappointment.  Still if you’ve come this far in the series, you’ll need to push through it.  Hopefully the events in Knife of dreams compliment this book.   Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment