My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Ant-Man (2015)

The new Iron Man is Ant-Man in that I haven’t been this entertained watching a Marvel origin story since the 2008 film that started the Marvel super train of success.  This surprises me because I thought this film was doomed after Edger Wright left the project.   You have to give a lot of credit to Peyton Reed, Adam McKay and star Paul Rudd for turning a potential dud into a delight.   You can still see Wright and Joe Cornish’s stamp of excellence scattered throughout but Reed’s team delivered the goods.  The plot isn’t anything really new, an average guy with a heart of gold gains some super ability (in this case a techno-marvel suit) and must rise up and defeat a corrupt business man soon to become super villain baddy.   Basically Iron Man without the arrogant billionaire quips.  Regardless there is a freshness to this film, a playfulness to the out of this world ability of shrinking that is very satisfying.  Paul Rudd is fantastic (as always).  He’s funny (as you expect) and physically up to the superhero standards when it comes to action.  My one complaint overall, which is becoming a reoccurring theme with these superhero films, is the weakness of the villain.  Corey Stoll does a decent job playing Yellowjacket but the character is still very underdeveloped without any depth or motive  He’s just a bad guy doing bad things because he’s bad.  Evangeline Lilly and Michael Douglas are wonderful and Michael Pena steals the show with laughs.   What else is there to say, but thank you.  Marvel, you worry me sometimes with this ambitious cinematic experiment, in what I fear is going to become an over-long superhero soap opera, but here you really gave me the kind of film I wanted from your studio.  Bring me some more of this, please.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment