My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Americans (Season 2)

The continuing saga of secret Soviet spy family the Jennings is one of my favorites right now.  I love this cold war drama set during the ‘80s so much.   There are no cellphones or hi-tech Mission impossible kind of gadgets.   It’s just two spies working with their contacts to steal as much info they can to help their country, which happens to be the Soviet Union.  Like Walt in Breaking Bad, Elizabeth and Philip are hiding the truth from their loved ones, as well as in many ways going against their own hearts.  It’s thrilling to see two people do such vile things only to turn out to be fairly complicated and passionate parents.  As well as the Jennings, there is FBI agent Stan Beeman and his double-triple agent Nina Sergeevna to seem to be setting up the show for even more drama in later seasons.   And then there’s poor Martha, oh so naïve and yet so committed.   I have no idea how her story will end but I’m assuming it will not be good.  I can’t wait to see the newest season.   A-

No comments:

Post a Comment