My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Snowpiercer (2014)

Korean director Bong Joon-ho directs an English language science fiction film based on the French graphic novelLe Transperceneige. And the result is a brilliant, dark, a sardonic film for an international market. I loved this film. It takes place in the future after a new ice age pretty much wipes out the planet. The only survivors that we know of live on a super train that speeds around the globe nonstop at high speeds. Our hero, played by Chris Evans, lives with the poor in horrid conditions and must band together to fight their way up the train in a revolt against Wilford, the mysterious Engineer of the train. Tilda Swinton hams up the screen as the second in command, a tyrannical dictator who keeps the poor in check. I don’t want to ruin any surprises so all I will say is just watch it. It’s a cinematic gem with fantastic themes about those who have none and those who have a lot. It’s funny, it’s exciting, it’s visually poetic and it’s morbidly satisfying. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment