My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Family (2013)


You look at a film like this and you shake your head and wonder what the heck happened. Great cast: Robert De NIro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Tommy Lee Jones, Dianna Agron and more. You have a decent director in Luc Besson. The premise isn’t that bad either; American Mobster in hiding is transplanted into a small French town by the FBI. It even starts off well, showing this tough, uncompromising family deal with bullies and rudeness like a group of bad-asses. It’s actually kind of funny. Then everything unravels before your eyes and what is left is an inconsistent film. For example, Dianna Agron starts off as a unflinching American teenager but at some point she becomes some weak timid girl. Everyone in it does a good job, the acting isn’t the problem, it’s the writing. Based on a French novel (so I’ve learned) I can’t help but wonder how close of an adaptation it is. Regardless it’s one of those below average movies you might watch late at night and enjoy it somewhat but won’t be able to remember it the next day. I’d suggest just skipping it. Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment