My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, June 10, 2016

X:Men Apocalypse (2016)

Superhero redundancy continues with the third addition to the latest X-Men incarnation.  While not as thrilling or as skillfully crafted as Days of Future Past, I was entertained seeing Professor Xavier, Magneto and Mystique join forces with the younger versions of Cyclops and Jane Grey to battle the most powerful mutant they have ever faced.  Sophie Turner is a wonderful choice for Jane and I’m hoping we get to see more of her and her younger counterparts later on.  (Maybe they’ll give us a proper Dark Phoenix film, here’s hoping.)  The entire film is just fun and I have to say it’s the most satisfying superhero entry this year (sorry Marvel, but it is.)   That’s not to say it doesn’t have its bad moments but it’s a solid summer blockbuster.   Grade: A-

Spoiler:
I don’t know if this is a spoiler but I decided I’d devote a bit of my rage on the costume designer (monster suit creator) for this film.  Apocalypse might be one of the dumbest looking villains I’ve seen in a big A-quality film.   There’s even a meme out there comparing him to Ivan Ooze from the Mutant Morphing Power Rangers film.  That’s bad.  What’s worse is Oscar Isaac is awesome as Apocalypse.  His voice and his eyes are so intense and foreboding it’s no wonder they cast him.  But the best they could do was to paint him purple and put him in a big suit.  I get it, he’s not a big actor, but there’s no reason Apocalypse had to be big.  It doesn’t ruin the movie but it is hard to take seriously sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment