My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

George Miller is back, directing and co-writing a return to the franchise he started decades ago, a film series that pretty much defined post-apocalyptic film making and of which all post-apocalyptic films are compared. Tom Hardy plays the title role (replacing Mel Gibson) as Max and Charlize Theron his female counterpart. Simply said, this is the best film I’ve seen so far this year, a bombastic, adrenalin ride through a nightmarish wasteland of mutants, road pirates and runaway breeders. It’s the kind of film action fans have wanted to see for some time. It’s violent, it’s well-crafted, it’s fun and surprisingly emotionally rewarding. There really is not a dull moment through the entire race across the desert. Miller doesn’t copy himself, he re-invents his world, making it bolder and giving us even more strange and disturbing images. This is the world after we nuke it, it’s the world we deserve after we wasted what was so precious. Unless someone didn’t care for the originals, I really can’t see how anyone would dislike this film. The art direction is superb and the acting is perfect. The only complain I have is that it ended at all. Bring me more Mad Max, please, and don’t make me wait another thirty years. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment