My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Daredevil (Season 1)

This is how you adapt a comic book superhero.  As a fan of Daredevil, I am dancing with glee.   Drew Goddard nails it, giving us the dark crime fighter we all want to see and the complex villain in Kingpin we’ve always yearned for.  I’m so excited by this television series and the future of this Marvel television world.  For one, it’s not meant for younger viewers.  Which is great; this is for us adults who read the comics and want something dark and exciting.  It’s violent and gritty and doesn’t glaze over the fact that fighting criminals is dangerous.   My only disappointment is that DC didn’t choose this same outlet for Batman; this kind of treatment would be perfect for the Dark Knight.  In fact there are times I felt like I was watching a blind Bruce Wayne learn to become a hero.   That said, Marvel did it first, and I hope this show is the beginning of the end to cinematic superheroes.   Superheroes deserve this kind depth and attention to detail.   Cinema isn’t for serialized properties; this is where comics should go.  Save the movie screen for stories that actually have endings.  A


No comments:

Post a Comment