My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

House of Cards (Season 3)

Unlike Season 2 where the story picks up right where the last season left off, this one opens up months later. Doug is in the hospital, not dead. President Underwood isn’t the badass we thought he was and Claire is stuck being the first lady when she has higher ambitions. I wouldn’t say this one starts off with a bang and it feels different, probably because Underwood is in a different role. Still it’s a very smartly written drama that gives an insider’s view of the White House. What’s cool is even though there are plenty of shows that take place in the Oval Office, this one feels so genuine. I don’t know if it really is, of course, but it feels that way. The entire production team deserves an Emmy in this regard. The drama here isn’t to show how Frank gets to the top, here it’s how he’s going to stay on top. It’s also the point in the narrative where events transpire to test Claire and Frank’s marriage to the brink. But Frank isn’t as likeable in this season, a strange thing to say considering all the bad things he did in the first two seasons. For me the acting highlights have to point to Robin Wright and her struggle to find importance as the President’s wife. The end result is a season that builds us for what could be a great finally season (if the next one is the last). While not as consistent as the other two seasons before it, it’s a must-see continuation for what I hope is a great television (streaming) event. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment